- Modified design from the Liberty Head $2.50 Gold Quarter Eagle. This coin was produced and issued for circulation from 1840 to 1907.
- Inscriptions have been modified to indicate “15th Presidency”, the years of the term “1857 1861″ and the motto “In God We Trust”.
- Originally designed by Christian Gobrecht.
- Scene of young James Buchanan working as a bookkeeper at the family general store.
- Designed by David Westwood and sculpted by Joseph Menna.
- The coins are struck in a composition of .9999 fine gold and contain one-half ounce of gold.
- Both proof and uncirculated versions will be produced at the West Point Mint.
- Expected release date June 2010.
Where to Find:
- The James Buchanan’s Liberty coins will be offered for sale by the United States Mint.
- Pricing will be based on the average price of gold and may be adjusted as often as weekly.
- Authorized under a section of Public Law 109-145 The Presidential $1 Coin Act of 2005.
- First Spouse Gold Coins were first issued in 2007, with four or five coins released each year in the order of the Presidencies.
- The final design selections for 2010 First Spouse Coins were released on December 21, 2009.